[CALUG] Linux & FIOS

mhartwx mhartwx at sprintmail.com
Sat Dec 29 19:45:33 EST 2007

I remember some CALUG discussion a year or so ago when Verizon started wiring
this part of Maryland for FIOS.  Have any CALUG members switched over to FIOS &
how do they like it, now that it's been here for a while?  Did they rip out your
copper phone lines & how has their battery system worked when the power went
out?  That's been a big sticking point with me.  I'd like to dump my dial-up &
am not a fan of COMCAST (& the dual TV-Internet Verizon packages look pretty
good).  Are there any snags involved in using Linux with FIOS?  I'm using
Mandriva 2007 (I got acquainted with Mandrake when I lived in OH - the LUG there
were Mandrake fans) but could switch to Ubuntu or something else if necessary.
I don't own a router & was thinking about using Verizon's - is there a different
router I should consider?   Can the same router be bought somewhere else?  I
plan to to some talking with Verizon before I order but it may be hard to get
past the sales people to their techies for the real info.  One other thing I've
been wondering about - my circa 1990 house has the standard phone & cable TV
wiring, so is it worthwhile to install something like cat-5?  I'm looking toward
the future which is always difficult where technology is concerned.
          ml hart