[CALUG] Linux & FIOS

Eldon Ziegler eldonz at atlanticdb.com
Sun Dec 30 06:48:54 EST 2007

I've had FIOS since July 2006 and couldn't be happier. I have the
Internet only business service which includes 5 static IP's, "20" Mb
download and "2" mB upload for $99/mo. Speakeasy measures the download
at 16 Mb and about 1.7 up.

There were several snafu's with installation but once it was working I
haven't had a problem. I run a combination of Fedora and Windows with a
older Fedora server handling the routing, firewall, DHCP and local DNS.
Also, there are a couple of database/data collection/web site servers in
my basement for a small energy monitoring business. I turned off the
Verizon box so I could use dnsmasq. Their router is needed to get the
channel schedule listings on the TV but you don't seem to have to use it
for anything else.

One problem I ran into early on was that I couldn't find anyone at
Verizon that understood DNS. An account with BulkRegister took care of
that.

This is a 1993 built home so I have only cat3 cabling but haven't had a
problem with 100Mb. I'd recommend you install cat5+.

Fortunately, we've had few power outages that lasted beyond the span of
the UPS. The Verizon interface came back up as soon as power came on.

I ordered FIOS shortly after it became available so the ordering and
installation snafu's might have been worked through since then.
Originally, I had the Internet-phone-TV service and had been told I
could get a static IP with that. It turned out that wasn't the case so I
switched to the business service. Verizon, apparently, hadn't figured
out how to bill for both the business Internet and TV service so the TV
service went and we stayed with DirectTV. Our phone service is over the
same FIOS but billed separately. A kludge, but it works.