[CALUG] NAS / SAN / external hard-drive

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:38:12 EST 2007

Dont get me wrong, $1,700 is a lot of money, as it is the price of a round
trip air-fare to India. I was reseaching on the net and found a lot of NAS
out there, whose cost starts from $55 to $550 without hard-drive and of
course with varying protocol and services support. The ones that caught my
eye were ADS Tech (single drive, 400 GB max NAS ), SS4000-E from Intel (4
drives, RAID 0,1,5,10 without drives), *Infrant ReadyNAS X6 and **Thecus
N4100. Of these I really liked SS4000-E and ADS. Since I have already spent
my quota for this year ($8000 on a visit to India for a Month and eye candy
LCD monitor), I might have to go with ADS for now. ADS is NAS with single
drive and is available for $53 from NewEgg and a seagate 320 GB @ $89 from
NewEgg too.

I had planned on building FreeNAS for a long time, but thinking of another
PC sitting there in an already PC cluttered desk was not acceptable by me or
my wife.

-Rajiv G Gunja

*
On 2/20/07, Eldon Ziegler <eldonz at atlanticdb.com> wrote:

> I suppose it depends on what you have in mind by cheap. I've been buying
> from these guys and they have a terabyte for $1,737.
>

> http://www.visionman.com/build.php?systype=12&fsb=23&ccc_pics=true&osCsid=0b802c743970522745d9bc1cc2741496
>
> On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 09:10 -0500, Rajiv Gunja wrote:
> > Anyone know of a good, yet cheap (affordable) externally attached
> > storage, I would love to have it as a NAS and if it is RAID-1 capable,
> > even better. I looked into building my own NAS (OpenNAS), but seems
> > like the commercial ones cost almost the same as building our own NAS.
> > Thoughts, views, insight, comments most welcome.
> > Thanks
> >
> > -GGR
> >
> > --
> >

> > Rajiv G Gunja