[CALUG] NAS / SAN / external hard-drive

Matt Fisher f1sh at verizon.net
Sat Feb 24 23:40:26 EST 2007

 >>(e.g. SMB/NFS) configuration errors or vulnerabilities could result
in allowing more than originally intended.

Word. I'd rather have to figure out a fixed blade knife than a
leatherman.  Of course, that doesn't help in terms of real security (ie
skilled bug finders) unless the nas implemented audited software.  They
should never be accessible beyond your LAN anyhow though, and you know
I'm a big fan of just relying on, say, an IDS or something.

 >>Too often us linux folk format a USB drive ...

That's a good point in a very heterogenous environment. I, of course, am the token Windows guy and don't really have to worry about that :)

 >>(e.g. sending one to your parents and telling them to use it as a backup

 any diff than sending them an external drive ?

>>My Infrant ReadyNAS (I have the X6)

Yeah I checked them both out when you first clued me in on them, but they're too pricey for me.  Not arguing their value, just my budget.