[CALUG] NAS / SAN / external hard-drive

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 00:03:09 EST 2007

I agree with you all. Infrant or SS4000 is way better in terms of
functionality, protocol support and ease of use compared to ADS ($53 NAS).

By the way the ADS enclosure support ONLY Ext2/3 formatting of the
hard-drive. It runs a embeded Linux on it. According to their website, we
are to install Ext2IFS if we want to see/read/write to it using Windows.
This is not an issue, currently my main desktop and media reposotory is a
Linux PC (Xandros 4).

For now, I think I will go with ADS, since it is so cheap and I really need
some place to backup all my music (16 GB of English Music and 13 GB of
Indian Music, and a whole lot of Audio Books). 30 GB iPod is maxed out and I
am tired of burning DVDs every month backing up my Data/music.

Unlike other NAS this supports only smb, ftp and http. Plus, having any NAS
run a ftp server is asking for trouble. Being a security nut that I am, I
dont think my NAS is going to see any outside world anytime.

By th way, I upgraded my SMC 802.11b router to SMC 802.11n (b/g) last week.
The firewall is sweet. It has awesome controls on ports and has a good list
of gaming/appln ports already built into it, so you dont have to remember
the ports. LAN and WLAN speeds are great.

-GGR
Rajiv G Gunja

--

Rajiv G Gunja