[CALUG] eyeOS

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Tue Jul 24 10:33:50 EDT 2007

loxety <loxety at gmail.com> writes:

> I was just looking at linux.com and they had an article on eyeOS
> (http://www.linux.com/feature/118113).  Wondered if anyone had set
> this up and could share their experiences?

I browsed the source and it doesn't look so good ...

It's also using PHP which makes me suspect its general quality. Having
been forced to write PHP for a good two years now (even Lisp hackers
need to eat ...) I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible
to implement properly designed software with it. It doesn't help that
the interpreter is poorly written, or that all but a handful of the
libraries in the extensions repository are useless ("hmm, this is
perfect but I need to change one aspect of its behavior ... you mean
to tell me the entire class is implemented as one 1500 line
function...").

What *would* be nice is CLIM over the web (or some other async server
model). Failing that, it turns out that Mozilla has this little
platform called Gecko that implements a UI toolkit with a built-in
scripting engine. I had to pick up XUL/XBL/XPCOM to hack on ConkerorXR
a while back, and I really have to wonder why they are so
underutilized (excepting XPCOM because it makes me want to stab
things). You can run XUL remotely so I fail to see why everyone doing
the desktop-in-a-browser is using hacked up html+js to implement the
widgets that Mozilla *provides for them*.

--
unknownlamer: Hail Satan
unknownlamer: And do drugs