[CALUG] New FOSS site

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Wed Sep 5 12:06:37 EDT 2007

I'm tooting my own horn here, but I am also pretty impressed
with the site http://blue-gnu.biz/.  I responded to a poll on how
FOSS projects advertise and the site maintainer, Don Parris,
asked me to do an interview, which is here:

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/renaissancecore_ids_seeks_take_intrusion_detection_next_level

After that, we got into a little bit of a discussion, and here is
what he said about the site:

The whole point of this series of interviews is precisely to highlight
various Free Software projects - even obscure and new ones.  I'll be
presenting on "Marketing FOSS" at the Ohio LinuxFest at the end of this
month, where I will discuss how project teams can essentially make better
use of good PR, and so on.

Many project teams don't do so well on the PR front.  Most probably never
think to submit announcements of their new releases.  Some developers seem
to be nigh impossible to find for interviews, some are press-shy,
usually have
been burnt by bad interviews, etc.  And there really are some fantastic
projects out there that rarely see any publicity at all.

I actually plan to [interview library developers].  It's all part of my
plan.
You have to understand that, while most news sites are busy proclaiming
all the big companies opening up to Free Software, blah, blah, blah, I'm
actually covering the Free Software projects - and from a "GNU" perspective
(with or without the obvious pun).

Later . . .   Jim