[CALUG] Wanted: reputable IT company

Stephen Anderson anderson.stephen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:54:07 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07, J. Tang <tang at jtang.org> wrote:
> (List moderators: please discard my earlier attempt to post this
> wanted ad.)
>
> I have been dissatisfied with the services currently being rendered
> to a local church and have been tasked to investigate alternatives.
> Do any of you know a good IT shop that do the following?
>
>  0. Support about a half-dozen somewhat networked Windows 2000 / XP
> setups.
>  1. Provide about 5 to 10 hours of support a month (running virus +
> malware scans, loading security patches, installing software, etc.).
>  2. Respond to emergency fdisk/format/non-alcoholic drink spilled on
> the machine.  (This is a church, after all.)
>
> The users of these machines are average folks that don't care about
> the latest in CPU caching theories.
>
> As a bonus, I would prefer that:
>
>  3. Company offers web hosting on some Unix server with apache
>  4. ... and SMTP server (postfix, qmail, etc.)
>  5. ... and IMAP/SSL
>  6. ... and DNS
>  7. ... and webmail/SSL (such as SquirrelMail)
>  8. ... and mailing lists (preferably mailman, though MajorDomo works).
>
> Furthermore,
>
>  9. Within the church, I want to setup a file server + LDAP
> services.  Preferably this will be running Linux, though *BSD is
> acceptable.
>
> Please email me at tang at jtang.org if you (or someone you know) is
> based in the central Maryland area is interested in accepting this
> work.  We can then negotiate the actual contract and prices.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Jason Tang  /  tang at jtang.org

Jason,

Support of the six PCs could be handled by the users and hand
delivering the PCs for repair when systems are abused/misused and/or
actually break.

There are many web hosting providers online (ipower, godaddy, and so
on) that would satisfy most if not all of your needs for 3-8.

As far as a file server in #9, I believe there are turnkey devices
available at a national computer chain. LDAP may be a little over the
top for 6 PCs.

Not the response that you are looking for, but this implementation may
succeed with the fewest headaches.

Otherwise, remember the quality of support often depends on the amount
that you are willing to pay. An emergency repair call by a Senior Unix
whiz may equate to the cost of a cheap PC. :)

swa