[CALUG] Linux on a laptop

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:28:04 EDT 2008

I was able to install Xandros 4.0, Ubuntu 8.04 (beta), and PCLinuxOS 2007 on
my HP Laptop (Compaq nc6400) Of course I do not have multiple boot
environment, but I tried them 1 by 1 until I settled on PCLinuxOS,  Laptop
Config: Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Intel wifi builton
(802.11b/g) (works great)

I was very surprised with PCLinuxOS 2007, having never used it before, I
felt that this desktop version was much better than its original Mandriva
Sprint 2007 or CentOS 5.1 or Xandors 4.1 (my favourite distribution) or
Ubuntu 8.04 beta. When I say "better" I mean - faster to boot up, faster in
application performance, very good application support. I was surprised to
see that IBM's Lotus Notes Client and IBM's SameTime installed without a
hitch. Other applications like Nortel's VPN cient, OpenVPN, Symantec's
Anti-virus software worked without me poking around to get it working. I was
also impressed how fast the OS performed when I connected to it over
Internet using FreeNX.

I usually get a distro, which has a LiveCD/DVD and make sure all the
hardware works, before I try and install it. To add to the mix, I also have
2 HDDs which I swap, so I do not mess my Windows XP OS.

On a different note, has anyone installed Linux on a SDHC card or USB stick?
Some how I could install Linux only on a 2 GB USB stick and would not
install on my 16 GB USB stick. Plus sometimes my Laptop freezes when I try
to boot from the USB stick. Any insight would really help.

Thanks

-GGR
Rajiv G Gunja