[CALUG] email - again - relaying ?

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 20:49:10 EDT 2008

I have yet another freeshell related email problem.
I'm using Thunderbird to do outgoing mail (SMTP)
with no authentication of any kind.

recall I dialup to an account by "tenex.org" ---at least
thats the login.  And the email SMTP server is set to
mail.freeshell.org.

I get an error message from most recpt addresses
saying that relaying is not allowed.

During several looks at the scattered help in freeshell/lonestar.org,
I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

suggestion ???  Is there some tenex.org mail server I should use
instead of freeshell which might explain the relay prob ?
(mail.lonestar.org isn't it !! )

( and I still haven't cured the dup'd emails that arrive
randomly )

thx,
Walt ....

----

I also have a shell account at freeshell.org.  It's handy to be
able to log into a remote network to ping yourself--or someone
else.

For example, right now when I ping polarhome.com from here at home
(Verizon), if times out.  I can't reach it.  But I can ping it
with no problem from my freeshell.org account.  I haven't figured
that one out yet.

-Ken Jackson