[CALUG] using an XP PC as a print server?

Worsley, Christopher Christopher.Worsley at hp.com
Tue Aug 12 08:19:52 EDT 2008

A friend of mine had a slightly different, but similar problem. He has a printer/scanner/copier that requires a ton of bloated drivers and apps to support it. That drove him crazy, even though the host computer was XP. There were programs that loaded at startup, then pop-up dialogs telling him about ink levels, etc. He wanted a way to control all of that.

His solution: he runs a WinXP VM that has all of the drivers & apps on it. He also shares it so that others on his network can use it. That is the entire purpose of his VM "appliance". I'll ask him today, but I think he hosts this VM on a Linux machine and it just runs in the background, so he only looks at it when necessary.

You can see his motivation was to control bloatware, but I'd bet something like that work might fit your needs.

Cheers

Christopher