[CALUG] Opinions on whole Disk encryption (for Linux)

Sean Wilkerson sean at seanandheather.com
Sat Feb 2 11:43:46 EST 2008

Rob,
Your post touches on an important question of why you would go with disk
encryption.  Disk encryption is a burden on the system, OS, and
administration.  It can frequently be a burden on the user as well (even
in the COTS solutions I have seen).  I would expect that if an entity
deployed disk encryption, it would be mostly to protect confidentiality,
when this exposure would out-weigh the need for availability (as you
noticed).

Disk/volume encryption has its benefits, and in some cases might be a
requirement, but front-end leg work to develop a policy and guidelines
for its deployment, use, and mgmt are critical.  With the federal
government currently deploying Full-Disk-Encryption on many of its
mobile devices, the policies and mgmt are the biggest debates.

In a nutshell, if you wish to deploy full-disk-encryption you should
first deploy (and test) a backup and recovery solution which works, and
ensure you continue to maintain the DR procedure and backups once you
integrate the encrypted FS/device.

Sorry I can't help more with the original post as to *FOSS*
recommendations on full disk encryption, though I am enjoying reading
other's experiences.

Sean