[CALUG] Opinions on whole Disk encryption (for Linux)

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Mon Feb 4 14:34:24 EST 2008

Thanks all,

Between posts here and a few other groups, I started looking into a
dm-crypt solution for the server.  Big benefit is that it's already
in the kernel for RHEL5 which is what we are using.  Setup is going
to be a pain, but in the end it will be well worth it.

In our case it's very important that if for some reason our servers
were stolen that the information on disk would be useless to the
thief.  Confidential data and such.  The images will be running on
top of a hardware RAID 5 setup.  Also, backups (which are also
planned) will also be encrypted.  Yes, this put's us at a slightly
great chance of an unrecoverable error, but it's worth it based on
the data we need to protect.

Anyways, I'll probably do a full right up once it's all implemented
to share, it should be interesting.  We haven't had any issues with
security yet, but I'm all for being ahead of the curve on these kinds
of things.

Cheers,
David

David A. Cafaro <dac at cafaro.net>