[CALUG] CapBUG February Meeting - SysAdmin Games

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Feb 22 23:11:15 EST 2008

Our next meeting is scheduled for this Tuesday, February 26 at Raba
Technologies in Columbia, MD.  This month we will be hosting our first
ever "SysAdmin Games" workshop.

The main focus of this meeting is to have fun learning more about what
we already enjoy, UNIX systems administration.  But since this might
be a recurring event, our official theme this month will be "Secure
Webservers".  We will be utilizing a VMware Server running virtual
machines for each of the team images.  Each virtual system will have
local network access only, with a dedicated sandbox system for
external access (see "life-line" information below) and testing
purposes.

We will need an additional laptop for each team, for managing each
respective virtual machine (via VMware web client or SSH).  I think we
will have this covered easily, but if you have a laptop you want to
bring in for your team, please do.  Here are the details, let me know
if you have any questions.  More information available at http://capbug.org/
.

P.S.  Yes, I will be serving as the BOFH.  :)

bofh$ cat sysadmin_games.txt

###############
# Theme
###############

* Secure Webservers

###############
# Goals
###############

* Install a BSD operating system and dependencies as needed
* Configure networking
* Configure the host firewall
* Configure a webserver with a self-signed certificate
* Configure start-up services

###############
# Rules
###############

* Each team will have a "mentor".  This individual will act as a team
leader and "life-line" resource for the competition.

* Each team will have a series of 3 "life-lines".  The life-line
period is a maximum of 10 minutes.
	1) Mentor = A team may request the assistance of the mentor from
another team.  If the question is satisfied
	(to be determined by the BOFH), the mentor's team receives a 10-point
bonus.  If the question is *not* satisfied,
	the mentor's team receives a 10-point debit.  An assisting mentor may
*not* utilize their own life-lines for the
	purpose of assisting another team.
	2) Google = A team may utilize any internet resource for research on
their project.
	3) Phone = A team member may call one individual for assistance.
Competition participants are excluded from
	being an assisting party.

* Each team will use a different BSD operating system selection.  This
will be determined by a series of trivial questions at the beginning
of the competition.  The team to correctly answer a question gets to
select the BSD used by *their choice* of one of the other remaining
teams.  This will continue until all teams have been assigned an
operating system.

	Example: Team A wins the first question.  They choose DragonflyBSD
for Team C.  Team B wins the second question.
	They choose NetBSD for Team A.  Team C wins the final question.  They
choose MirBSD for Team A (poor bastards).

* Each team will have a maximum of one hour to complete the allotted
tasks.

* Each team will have 10 minutes to present their final results to the
BOFH for points redemption.

# Awards

* The winning team gets a free round of beer at Nottingham's.

# EOF

---
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting