[CALUG] LINUX & FIOS - backup

John Hengen jghengen1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 2 07:53:15 EST 2008

The battery backup with FIOS is good for about 4 hours of telephone
service, as I understand it. There is no backup for TV and no backup for
the internet connection when the 120 volt ac fails./
I know a man who has his FIOS battery backup plugged into a big UPS. He
also has an automatic start & switchover arrangement which uses a 40 KW
electric generator to run his house (including the big UPS)./
The optical signals in the fiber are presumably always there. The FIOS
box on the wall of your house needs electrical power to translate the
optical signals into electrical signals which are then routed through
out your house./
I was disappointed to learn that the FIOS cable which runs into your
house contains an embedded wire. The wire is used only to locate the
buried cable when repairs are needed. I had looked forward to being
electrically  isolated from the FIOS system, but no such luck./
John