[CALUG] Baltimore ACM Chapter Organizational Meeting

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu May 15 23:58:40 EDT 2008

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to attend an organizational meeting to help rejuvenate
the Baltimore Chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery (BACM).

BACM will have a program of speakers beginning in the fall.  For
September, we have confirmed a speaker: Sid Meier, creator of
"Civilization", the famous series of world-building games, and who is
also the head of Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley.

In the meantime, to get BACM working again, we will hold a public
meeting to elect officers.  We are inviting all ACM members in the
Baltimore region to attend.

Where:  Towson University,
        York Road Building, Room YR 205
        7800 York Road, Towson, MD

When:   Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Agenda:

* Presentation of Chapter Development Plan

* Election of officers

  The acting officers are ready to serve and willing to stand for
  election (see below), however other nominations are welcomed!
  Nominations may be made from the floor by any ACM member.

* Engineering Society of Baltimore (ESB)

  We will discuss a proposal to join the ESB as an Associate Society.

* Membership dues

  We will discuss and vote on a proposal for a rate of $25/year.

* Other organizational matters as needed (bylaws, banking, etc.)

We expect the meeting to last no more than an hour.
Afterwards we will adjourn for dinner at a local restaurant.

Please reply if you plan to attend and whether you would like to
join us for dinner so we can make a reservation.

We thank the Towson University Department of Computer and Information
Sciences for hosting this meeting.

For maps and directions, see below.

To receive notice of upcoming events, please send your email
address to Emil Volcheck <volcheck at acm.org> .

We hope you can attend and participate on the 29th.

Sincerely,

Emil Volcheck, acting president, volcheck at acm.org
Jay Smart,     acting vice president
Joyce Little,  acting secretary
Tom Panfil,    acting treasurer

Directions

For a map of Towson University, visit URL

  http://www.towson.edu/main/maps/  .

The York Road building (YR) is at grid cell E6, which is
about 1.7 miles inside the Baltimore Beltway.

Parking is available across the street in the front lot of the
Administration Building (AD, grid E5-6).  An electronic parking
station is available that takes cash and credit cards.  You will need
to pay $2 for one hour of parking until 8 PM.  Parking is free
starting 8 PM.  There are usually plenty of spots at the Administration
Building.  There is a pedestrian footbridge to the Glen Parking
Garage.  Enter the York Road building from the northeast side.
The York Road entrance is to Bill Bateman's restaurant and the
Glen Parking Garage only.

Driving directions are at URL

  http://www.towson.edu/main/abouttu/visitor/dircampus.asp  .

For convenience, they are

>From I-95 (northbound and southbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway
I-695 west (toward Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7
miles. Turn left on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first
stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the
campus map for information about your specific destination.

>From I-83 (northbound and southbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway
I-695 east (toward Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7
miles. Turn left on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first
stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the
campus map for information about your specific destination.

>From I-70 (eastbound): Take the Baltimore Beltway I-695 north (toward
Towson). Take exit 25, Charles Street. Proceed 1.7 miles. Turn left on
Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the first stoplight on Osler
Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to the campus map for
information about your specific destination.

>From Baltimore (Penn Station): Proceed north on Charles Street for
five miles. Turn right on Towsontown Boulevard and proceed to the
first stoplight on Osler Drive. Follow the campus signs or refer to
the campus map for information about your specific destination.

(We add the following.)

>From 295/B.W. Parkway (northbound): Follow 295 into Baltimore until it
becomes Russell St.  Proceed past Camden Yards, and turn right onto
Pratt St.  Continue east past the Inner Harbor (avoiding the left
lane).  Turn left onto President St. and proceed onto I-83 north.
Travel on I-83 about 5.5 miles, take exit 10A for Northern Parkway
(eastbound).  Continue about 2 miles, turn left on York Road
(northbound), then go about 2 miles to the York Road building.  Then
turn left onto Cross Campus Drive, then turn left into the
Administration building entrance to the parking lot.