[CALUG] NSA Museum Field Trip

Chuck Frain chuckfrain at pobox.com
Tue May 27 12:01:32 EDT 2008

Recently there has been growing talk and interest in the area of
computer data privacy. This typically leads to a discussion about
methods for encrypting files and email communications. The defacto
standard for this currently is public key cryptology in the form of
GnuPG/PGP. So for the July 9th meeting of CALug we will have a
presentation on what GnuPG is and how to use it followed by some
discussion as time permits.

This will be followed up on July 17th at the Ubuntu Maryland LoCo Team
meeting. Many times when you go home from one of these presentations you
start to experiment a little and run into questions. Please feel free to
bring your laptops and/or questions on generating GnuPG keys, the use of
the command line, email integration and front ends. We will do our best
to help you through any issues you have. We will attempt to have a few
demo machines if you do not have a laptop available to you.

To get some history of cryptology the Columbia Area Linux Users Group
and Ubuntu Maryland LoCo Team are presenting a field trip to the NSA's
National Cryptologic Museum on August 2, 2008.

A description of the museum from their website (http://www.nsa.gov/MUSEUM/):

"The National Cryptologic Museum is the National Security Agency’s
principal gateway to the public. It shares the Nation’s, as well as
NSA’s, cryptologic legacy and place in world history. Located adjacent
to NSA Headquarters, Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland, the Museum
collection contains thousands of artifacts that collectively serve to
sustain the history of the cryptologic profession. Here visitors can
catch a glimpse of some of the most dramatic moments in the history of
American cryptology: the people who devoted their lives to cryptology
and national defense, the machines and devices they developed, the
techniques they used, and the places where they worked. For the visitor,
some events in American and world history will take on a new meaning.
For the cryptologic professional, it is an opportunity to absorb the
heritage of the profession."

We will arrive at the museum at 10am for an hour and a half tour of the
exhibits with one of the museum's staff (or volunteers) as a guide.
About 15 minutes after the tour is over we will gather for a GnuPG key
signing event. Details of the keysigning and what you will need will be
discussed at the July CALug meeting.

All are welcome to come on the tour, however we do need to get the
number of attendees for the museum staff to properly accommodate us.
Please sign up at the Ubuntu Maryland wiki if you have a login.
Otherwise please email chuckfrain at pobox.com with your name or to request
anonymity and the number attending with you.

Some Relevant Links:

http://www.calug.org
http://www.ubuntu-maryland.org
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/Events/FieldTrips/NSAMuseum