[CALUG] Swap Size

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri Nov 7 21:14:24 EST 2008

Depends on architecture apparently:

"How large can my swap space be?
Currently, the maximum size of a swap partition is architecture-
dependent. For i386, m68k, ARM and PowerPC, it is "officially" 2Gb. It
is 128Gb on alpha, 1Gb on sparc, and 3Tb on sparc64. An opteron on the
2.6 kernel can write to a 16 Tb swap partition. For linux kernels 2.1
and earlier, the limit is 128Mb. The partition may be larger than 128
MB, but excess space is never used. If you want more than 128 MB of
swap for a 2.1 and earlier kernel, you have to create multiple swap
partitions (8 max). After 2.4, 32 swap areas are "officially"
possible. See setting up swap for details.

footnote: "official" max swap size: With kernel 2.4, the limit is 64
swap spaces at a maximum of 64Gb each, although this is not reflected
in the man page for mkswap. With the 64 bit opteron on the 2.6 kernel,
128 swap areas are permitted, each a whopping 16 Tb! (thanks to Peter
Chubb for the calculation) "

The above is from:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/requirements.html#SwapSize

So if you want you could have 128 16TB swap partitions, but only if
you are running a 64bit os on 64bit hardware with a 2.6 kernel.  Oh
and LOTS of free disk space ;-).

Cheers,
David

David A. Cafaro <dac at cafaro.net>