[CALUG] Anyone interested in a Python Users Group?

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Tue Nov 25 22:37:39 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Scott Kitterman <sklist at kitterman.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I went to the first BACON-PIG meeting and it looks like it may be a really
> good group (hard to tell from one meeting) with some well known heavy hitters
> in the Python world involved.
>
> I'd suggest giving that group a try before starting another one.

I agree.

> BACON-PIG has a clear focus on Python that distinguishes itself from ZPUGDC,
> which is more Plone/Zope oriented.  Other than geography, what would
> differentiate this possible new group from those two?

Nothing.  The only one I knew about was ZPUGDC... and it's too far for
me, and I don't care much about Plone/Zope. :-)  I was looking to have
something more oriented at Python and less at any specific
application.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about BACON-PIG... the only place it was
mentioned was python-announce, which I haven't been following.  They
didn't add a link on the Local Users Group page of the Python Wiki,
mention it in the Python Users Group blog, didn't mention it on the
group-organizers list... and, unfortunately didn't hear about it
through some other connections I have in the Python world either. :-(
So, at this point, I'm backing down and going to try and attend
BACON-PIG... and I'm subscribing to python-announce. :-)

FWIW, I did send this announcement to the group-organizers list and
Stephen Waterbury chimed in and informed me about BACON-PIG as well.
He sounded very open to having a meeting up this way if it would help
attract new folks.  So if some of you aren't willing to travel to
Greenbelt, perhaps we can work with them get a meeting up this way at
some point.

Thanks to all of those who showed interest!  It's good to know I'm not
the only Python fan-boy in the area. Hope to see some of you there!

-John

PS  The BACON-PIG site is at: http://pangalactic.us/bacon-pig/