[CALUG] Eclipse 3.4 with CDT 5.0?

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 18:17:58 EDT 2008

I understand and agree with everything you say.  However,
Tomcat is a simple application compared to Eclipse.  Unless
you are doing some crazy, interactive multimedia from your
website, you're basically working with text, files, and maybe
some database.  Eclipse, on the other hand, is using graphics,
builds SWT apps, and a few of the plugins get into crazy,
interactive multimedia.

I haven't upgraded to Kubuntu 8, but I'm pretty sure that gcj
is still the default JRE.  It works great, up to a point, but like
many FOSS apps, the project has had some difficulty getting
specs, and definitely isn't getting much corporate support.  So
they are pretty far behind the bleeding edge.  This means that
the Eclipse package for your distro should work OK.  But if
you download directly from Eclipse.org, you'd better roll up
your sleeves.

The "it's about time" good news is that Sun has finally GPL'ed
Java.  However, from my reading, some parts could not be, so
it will still be at least one more release before Free distros will
be able to use it in its entirety.  It has been available in the non-free
repositories for as long as I have used Debian and *buntu, so I
think that the main issue is licensing.  However, I wonder if the
GNU/Linux distros will continue to use gcj as the default, out of
loyalty.

The other one to watch is Kaffe.  I haven't used it, but from
what I have read, it has been able to take advantage of Sun
Java being GPL'ed to speed up development.  I believe it's
mostly a RedHat project, which isn't be bad for Debian based
distros, but the packaging is a little different from RPMs.

Later . . .   Jim