[CALUG] Repairing Ubuntu 8.04 installation, or installing packages to an alternate destination?

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 15:25:21 EDT 2009

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions.  In answer
to the question "why not just do a new install?", I had
hoped I could learn something by fixing it, and save
time in the long run.  But in the end, everything I fixed
just threw up two more things to fix.  So I went the
whole hog and (after saving my homedir) installed
the new Ubuntu 9.04.  Just a few more things left
to tweak ...

Thanks again - Ed