[CALUG] Project Management Portal App

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 18 10:07:18 EDT 2009

From: Eldon Ziegler <eldonz at atlanticdb.com>

> Is there a FOSS app for this?

There are numerous FLOSS solutions.

Freshmeat lists several tagged "Project Management," "Scheduling" and
others.  Several are FLOSS.
http://freshmeat.net/tags/project-management
http://freshmeat.net/tags/scheduling

There are also a few others under Office/Business Scheduling, like dotproject:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/dotproject

One thing I have to remind people is that Microsoft Project alone
does _not_ actually do collaboration and team scheduling.  You have
to setup a full Microsoft Project Server and that's not easy, well integrated
nor cheap.  In many cases, a web-based scheduling solution can often
be far better, although a web-based with local front-end might be more
usable.

> We'll have a team of subcontractors working with us and bidding on Task
> Orders. We're looking for a portal that we can use to post Task Orders
> and track proposal submissions for them; collaborate on documents
> between various subcontractors; and possibly track hours, assign tasks,
> track completion, and manage projects (through Gantt charts or other
> project management tools).

Several of my clients and current employer have used dotproject internally
for many years to track our orders and tasking.  The fact that it has years
in production use is the reason why I'd favor it.  But there are many other
solutions.

There is a demo here:
http://www.dotproject.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7

NOTE:  The demo runs slower than it would on a decent server, even over
a slow, remote connection.

--
Bryan J  Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:       http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith