[CALUG] Database question

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at zmanda.com
Wed Feb 25 10:43:23 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 9:42 AM, David Hawkins <dave.a.hawkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> You're looking for an ORM that will auto-discover relationships,
> correct?  I'm nor sure there is one.  Usually you build your schema
> within the ORM's framework.

There is one, based on SQLAlchemy, but I don't recall the name --
someone at ZPUGDC brought it up at the last meeting.

Keep in mind, though, that there's only so much understanding embedded
in the schema.  Usually these auto-discovery tools do a decent job of
getting tables represented as lists of objects, and sometimes even
guess at foreign keys, but they always need a bit of tweaking by
someone who understands how the DB is used before the objects they
produce start to make any sense.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer