[CALUG] Linux resource usage

Rajiv Gunja opn.src.rocks at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:25:12 EST 2009

Depending on what type of Linux system you are monitoring, the type/need
of/for tools varies.

If you are going to monitor a destop system, then there are a multitude of
karamba/superkaramba/gdesklets available which gives you the network,
hard-disk, cpu information every few seconds, some easily changed as they
are scripts, others need some tinkering using python.

If you are monitoring a server, then you will need to script the things you
would like to monitor using tools either already present or installing them
additionally. The easy way is to either program you script into a desktop
applet or send it to an html file which is updated at a said interval.

Tools you would need are:

   1. sensors ( to monitor the voltage and temperature of the cpu, fan and
   motherboard)
   2. hddtemp (to monitor the temperature of your hard-disks)
   3. hwinfo (to keep your hardware configuration available when server
   hardware fails, good for disk serial number and firmware version)
   4. dmidecode (to keep track of your hardware serial number, firmware
   version and BIOS info - useful when calling vendors)
   5. iostat, mpstat, sar, top and vmstat to get the statistics or the
   current state of the live system.
   6. smartmontools (useful to monitor disk degradation / failures)

Hope this helps.

-GGR

--
Rajiv G Gunja