[CALUG] Linux Format 116 Free Download

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri May 15 00:05:21 EDT 2009

A USB Flash Drive is just another form of a disk. What's the big deal?

In theory, nothing. And indeed, CentOS 5.2 (and other suitably modern
distros) will indeed install and run exactly as as any other disk,
assuming that your computer can boot a USB disk.

However, up until recently, you had to make a few tweaks. The basic idea
is that the initrd has to load the drivers. What was needed (as recently
as CentOS 5.0) was after doing the install (which needed the "expert"
flag added to the boot: prompt), you had to boot the install system in
Rescue Mode, and rebuild the initrd.

The easiest way was to figure out which drivers you needed (try
usb-storage and things with sd in them) to add and mark them a
scsi-controller in /etc/modprobe.conf and do another mkinitrd.

More difficult is adding an option switch for each desired module.
Harder still is picking the initrd apart via gunzip and cpio and
reassembling in after modifying the "filesystem".

Note that I am glossing over details, mostly because you needn't do most
or indeed any of this stuff anymore...it just works because the distro
builders are putting more stuff in the installers because more people
are using systems that way.

Guess what? With the advent of Flash Drives....

LIVE CDS ARE DEAD. Well, not dead, but unnecessary.

You heard it here first.

JIM