[CALUG] Multi-column display with textflow in XHTML or CSS2?

Ed Browne edward_d_browne at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 17:18:39 EST 2009

Hi CALUG,
    I didn't think this would be so hard, I'm not even sure
why it's not working.  Is there a way to display multiple
columns of text with textflow in XHTML, either with or
without CSS2?  There is apparently a good solution in
CSS3, but of course that's not implemented anyway.
O'Reilly has a lovely example here:

http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/web2/xhtml/ch14_02.htm

using this approach:

<multicol cols=3>

but it flat-out don't work - it simply
displays it in a single column, no matter
how I tweak it.  Should it work???  If not,
is there another way to do it (without
scripting, that is - just XHTML or CSS2)?

Thanks very much - Ed