[CALUG] Fedora 12 Live CD doesn't run

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 11:51:03 EST 2009

HI,

Wonder if anyone else tried this?
I D/L Fedora 12 Live CD in order to first, take a look
at the first screens and operation, and then do an install basic
from the CD.

This is the gnome version since theres no "KDE" in the iso filename.

I plug in the CD to 2 different desktops, and a laptop.
The basic result in all three is the same: sit there for 20 minutes
and basically do nothing w/ one exception.

Basically, one desktop box will get to some window asking for full name
and to create username and password.  After that, it again
sits forever, with a very occasional CD light blink. ( 2.6 gig, 512meg)

The older laptop (800 Mhz, 256 megs) stops with printed error messages...
something about bad "fb"..

It seems really odd that to bootup a live CD that it would ask for
a persons name and to create a username.

now, I got the iso, and I have not done a checksum check before..
never needed to... so I  *think * I did this right...

I got the right kind of messages (??):

==============
[waltech at waltech Download]$ curl https://fedoraproject.org/static/fedora.gpg | gpg --import
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  9323  100  9323    0     0   2648      0  0:00:03  0:00:03 --:--:--  5995
gpg: key 4EBFC273: "Fedora (10) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>" not changed
gpg: key 0B86274E: "Fedora (10 testing) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>" not changed
gpg: key D22E77F2: "Fedora (11) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>" not changed
gpg: key 57BBCCBA: "Fedora (12) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>" not changed
gpg: key 217521F6: "Fedora EPEL <epel at fedoraproject.org>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 5
gpg:              unchanged: 5

[waltech at waltech Download]$ gpg --verify *-CHECKSUMgpg: Signature made Mon 09 Nov 2009 02:34:35 PM EST using RSA key ID 57BBCCBA
gpg: Good signature from "Fedora (12) <fedora at fedoraproject.org>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 6BF1 78D2 8A78 9C74 AC0D  C63B 9D1C C348 57BB CCBA

[waltech at waltech Download]$ sha256sum -c *-CHECKSUM
Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso: OK

While I don't think there's anything I can do to fix it,
at least I can report that I tried it, and the result.

I'll try to get a "standard install" DVD..

thx,