[CALUG] Convertator

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Thu Oct 22 16:58:29 EDT 2009

Bernie has put a zip file for Convertator, the converting calculator
application I demo'ed at the Oct. meeting, on the meetings page,
(http://calug.org/meetings.html).  Thanks Bernie!

There were a couple of bugs in the demo (doh!).  I fixed them and some
others I found using variations on the equations that caused them, and
the download has those fixes.  So you should be able to calculate the
following:

   ((1yd + 2lb) / (2min / 3ft)) + (5sec / 6ft) + (7sec / 8in)

which, according to Convertator, equals:

   10.8 in^3 + 0.6 in^2*lb + 0.9444 sec^2 /in*sec
  OR
   0.075 ft^3 + 0.05 ft^2*lb + 11.3333 sec^2 /ft*sec
  OR
   4180.6368 cm^3 + 1463.04 cm^2*oz + 0.0062 min^2 /cm*min

It will also switch between the "Bases" hexadecimal and dotted decimal
(among others).  So the following can be calculated by entering the
following in the Equation field and pressing "=":

   x0a50d321 c0142232

Then clicking on the Rslt radio button, changing the base to Dotted
Decimal, and pressing "=" again produces:

   10.80.211.33 192.20.34.50

The app is written in Java, so the instructions for running it on any
platform are:

1) I know it works under Sun Java 1.4 or above.  If anyone runs it under
any other JRE, please let me know, whether the attempt is successful or not.

2) Unzip Convertator.zip in your applications directory, which could be
/usr/share or your home directory. The zip file will create a directory
named Convertator with the following:
  - Convertator.jar:  The program
  - data, interface:  Directories with binary and text data files
  - test.data:  Equations that I use for testing
  - icon.png:  (Full disclosure:  I am not an artist and I have what
some might call a parched sense of humor ;-)
  - update.cvu, Ritasa_data.cvu, sound:  Data for currently unsupported
functions

3) On GNU/Linux and Unix systems, create a shell script in a directory
in your path with the following:

    CPATH=<path to convertator>
    cd $CPATH
    java -jar Convertator.jar

  I added this script to the Utilities group of my start menu, using the
icon.png.  Or you can run it from the command line if that's how you ride.
(((On Windows, unzip the directory in "Program Files", create a link to
Convertator.jar, and put it on the desktop.)))
(((On Mac, you tell me.)))

4) The first time it runs, there are some error messages that can be
ignored.  To get rid of them, select:
    Edit -> Preferences
and click on OK.  This creates a Convertator directory under your home
and writes a preferences file there.

5) There are help files which supply about as much info as the sheet of
paper that comes with pocket calculators.

6) Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.  Oh, and please feel
free to make suggestions for improving the help files.

I am planning to port it to use the Gnome and KDE(3.5) libraries, which
is mostly because I want C and C++ versions of the code.  I will release
all three of these under GPLv2.  If anyone wants to get involved in
this, let me know.

I am also planning to put up a website for sharing customized Units,
Equations, and Constants (read the help to find out what this means ;-).
  If anyone is interested in helping me on this, I can pay a little
(around $200) for it.

Happy calculating.

Later . . .   Jim