[CALUG] GCC Woes

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Fri Apr 9 18:33:42 EDT 2010

I'm not sure that mrproper is all that useful anymore. Always save any
config file you like, and then you can use make oldconfig to get back to it.

I am also leery of trying to mix toolchains/environments without simply
slam dunking them. You see, I once wanted a newer kernel (I think it was
from Fedora 1[0-2] to use on RHEL5), but then it wanted a newer mkinitrd
package, and that depended on newer init.d packages, and I ended up in
Dependency Hell.

You make have to use --nodeps to make it work, and maybe it will, or
maybe it won't. Heck, we glued a RHEL4 kernel onto Slackware 7 and 9
back in 2005.

Your best bet might be to find a distro with the right version kernel
you want, build it there, and then shoehorn it into your new distro.

And don't forget to make backups first.

JIM

P.S. Bryan's ide of a chroot jail is good too