[CALUG] Can Media cards have bad blocks?

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Apr 9 19:30:10 EDT 2010

All commodity NAND blocks have bad cells from virtually day 1.
Within 1,000 writes, they will be unreliable.  These are the reality
of the technology today.  They are also normally very slow at
writes, but techniques are used to sychronize commits in the
circuits.
Access times are much better than disk, but still poor next
to actual DRAM (let alone SRAM).  NAND != RAM, no matter how
much people assume otherwise.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile