[CALUG] modest camera for linux ??

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 13:38:13 EDT 2010

Hi,

Looking for modest camera that works on USB for F12.

Recently bought cheap $20 Vivitar to play with that isn't seen by linux.
Meaning, nothing mounts.
googling showed nothing.

So, I'm looking for a linux compat camera with some pretty
basic requirements.  I guess it may depend as much on brand.
Would like to buy off the shelf in local box store.

price: expected about $80-$120
8 megpixels or better, I would guess  ( whats the res on this ?)
3X optical zoom "is good 'nuff"
I would hope for stable pix..  It's hard holding the camera steady.
is daylight readable LCD possible? size doesn't matter.
webcam or D/L pix modes.
Should store reasonable number of images? say, 50 minimum ??
I don't care about other fancy features unless there's
something I missed for the casual user.

Oh, and my gnome has gthumb, gimp, and eye of gnome...
What do I need to "capture" or D/L  software ??

Walt......