[CALUG] modest linux camera: feedback

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 30 16:27:12 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 15:21 -0400, Rajiv Gunja wrote:
> I am now in the process of choosing an image editor on Linux, of
> course for now, I am sticking with Picasa and Gimp. My friends are
> recomending Photoshop, but unfortunately the Windows PC I have is on
> an atom cpu and will not have the horse power to run photoshop.

The problem with The GIMP is its limitation of 8-bit/channel, which
isn't enough for RAW for your T2i (Rebel 550D).  And while Adobe
Photoshop is made to run under WINE for several, major customers, it's
still not native, and it will never likely be[1].

CinePaint, fka Film GIMP, adds 16-bit support.  Unfortunately, it's not
nearly as good.  I have used both free tools (e.g., UFRaw) and paid for
one, commercial product (LightZone), to use with Pentax RAW, and it does
the job well.  The latter is really a competitor to LightRoom, not
Photoshop, but it does most of what I need.

-- Bryan

[1] I will only state what I know, from years prior I'm not under NDA
regarding.  The market for Adobe's products on Linux has been over $1B
for some time now, very significant.  That's all I will say, there is
the customer base.  The customer base continues, under WINE.

--
Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>