[CALUG] Checksum error -- WAS: modest linux camera: feedback

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 30 16:32:11 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 09:40 -0700, Walt Smith wrote:
> The digiKam install wasn't the smoothest.
> On Fedora-12, I used a local yum install ( rpm files on hard disk),

I assume you mean "yum localinstall" which installs a local RPM, but
resolves any dependencies from YUM repositories.

> and got some checksum error on one file. I could manually install
> "the file" using rpm -Uvh blah, and following up with another yum,
> got another checksum error on a different file.

Correct, because you're attempting to install RPMs that have been signed
with a GPG key you don't trust.  The solution is to locate the GPG key
that the packages were signed with, and import that into RPM.

It's a matter of trust, not corruption.

If they weren't signed with a GPG key, then you have to disable the
signature option.  By default, YUM will _not_ let you install any
packages that haven't been signed with a trusted GPG key.

> Eventually all 8 needed files were installed using only rpm.  After
> the install, digiKam runs fine.

Correct, because there wasn't any corruption, only a trust issue.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Any reason you didn't just install DigiKam from Fedora itself?
  http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1593
Where did you get the DigiKam RPMs from?

--
Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>