[CALUG] fedora java: eclipse and netbeans

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 16:37:46 EST 2010

I've never worked with Netbeans, but you can go to
http://marketplace.eclipse.org/ and set the following search fields:
- designer
- UI
- Tools

You might find what you're looking for, but there is a chance that you
won't.  There are some FOSS plugins but it seems that the best ones are
commercial (I don't know what the prices are).  After that, it's on to
Google.

You also have to choose between Swing and SWT/JFace.  Having built UIs
with both (manually ;-), I don't have a development preference for
either.  However, distribution of SWT/JFace is a pain.

As a side note, the Android Eclipse plugin includes a designer, and in
my limited experience, it is the best.  It is fairly intuitive, allows
you to directly edit the XML files, and I have never had it crash or
turn my code into goulash.

Later . . .   Jim