[CALUG] asus wifi and yahoo email

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 14:23:02 EST 2010

hi all, and thanks for info.
Here's where I'm at briefly:

Bernard,

Thanks for the step by step instructions.
I accomplished easily steps 1-9.  This simplifies the problem
approach.  However, what the settings should actually be is
another matter.  Steps 10-12 center my POV.  Very good!!

In addition, I found software using google and on F12 have
the following:
iw        iwconfig  iwevent   iwgetid   iwlist    iwpriv    iwspy

This gives a basis to begin looking at the problems.
I've spent a lot of time going thru menu's and trying things.
I hope I can better itemize so that individual settings can be
made to work. I don't yet know if these will be needed or if
some "Connection" over wifi becomes magic.

It would be good if I can have the option of a selection of
dialup over serial, * OR * wifi over ethernet.  Hopefully,
it's a matter of selecting a network config file.  For now,
I would settle for the ASUS appearing as simply a local 192.x.x.x
device.

Specific info:

THe wifi wan insists on using 10.x.x.x addresses.
It won't accept 192 addresses which is what I tried on
The lan 192.x.x.x is fine.

The Lan is 192.168.1.1

NOTE: as I type this, I'm on dialup and no longer can
get to the ASUS.  In the past, I've had many occasions
where I had systems over my lan with no problem.  I don't know
why I can't get a stable system connection here.

I think if I get help with NetworkManager, then I can better
explore the ASUS internal settings.    I suppose I'm  "starting over"
with some of the query to Bryan ..

Thanks !!!