[CALUG] asus wifi and yahoo email

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Dec 7 15:31:48 EST 2010

Fedora's NetworkManager supports modems, VPNs, etc...

If you want to use multiple interfaces with NetworkManager, you have to take
care of a few things.  Default gateways typically define which interface goes
out to the Internet.  So if you have a LAN or WLAN that provides a default
gateway, then it will prefer the LAN or WLAN over dial-up.  NetworkManager is
very good about picking the best speed and lowest latency interfaces.

So if you're LAN or WLAN is sharing out a default gateway, then that's why it no
longer uses your dial-up connection's default gateway.  ;)

The easiest way to deal with multiple interfaces is to use static IP assignments
for interfaces that are known.  This would include your LAN or WLAN.  For such,
then you _do_ use system-config-network.  You will explicitly tell it to not let
NetworkManager manage the device.

All system-config-network does is setup system-wide
/etc/sysconfig/network-manager/ifcfg-* scripts.  E.g., my Thinkpad X201 (MAC
addresses have their last 24-bit zero'd for privacy, the first 24-bit are
IEEE-assigned per vendor) ...

  $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
  # Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
  DEVICE=eth0
  TYPE=Ethernet
  HWADDR=F0:DE:F1:00:00:00
  ONBOOT=no
  NM_CONTROLLED=yes
  BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  USERCTL=no
  IPV6INIT=no

  $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
  # Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
  DEVICE=wlan0
  TYPE=Wireless
  HWADDR=00:24:D7:00:00:00
  ONBOOT=no
  NM_CONTROLLED=yes
  BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  USERCTL=no
  IPV6INIT=no

Note the following lines ...

- ONBOOT=no
- NM_CONTROLLED=yes
- BOOTPROTO=dhcp

For a static assignment that attempts to connect at boot, for wired ...

- ONBOOT=yes
- NM_CONTROLLED=no
- BOOTPROTO=static
- IPADDR=192.168.x.x
- NETMASK=255.255.255.0
- # DO # NOT # SET!!! # GATEWAY=

For wireless, there are more details such as SSID, key, etc...  The
system-config-network tool will set these for you.  You can then look at the
resulting file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* for the interface.

NetworkManager is an _user_-specific tool that is part of GConf (think of it as
the "GNOME registry"), which can store more dynamic information (including keys,
like for WLAN w/WPA), passwords and other things.  That's why it's preferred for
dynamic assignments.  It's not always a good idea for users to share such
information either (remember, Linux has always been multi-user,
Internet-focused).

E.g., I stick in a 3G UTMS 7.2Mbps AT&T or tether my T-mobile Android phone.
NetworkManager dynamically detects such, and provides a new interface for
connecting.  I also have OpenVPN and IPSec style VPNs.

NetworkManager has PTPP plug-ins as well.  There are RPM packages for adding
such to Fedora.

--
Bryan J  Smith             Professional, Technical Annoyance
Linked Profile:           http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith