[CALUG] asus wifi

John Alan Hastings jah1066 at aol.com
Fri Dec 24 16:03:27 EST 2010

Walt,

The topology of your network environment is, well, not clear.  I would
start by trying to get a table of what and who each node is.  ifconfig
is a good place to start, (and you are correct, the mac address listed
by ifconfig is that of your card).  Your router will probably have six
mac addresses, one for each wired port, and one for the wireless.

Next, try to scope out the networks.  The 192.168.x.x address range has
room for 65,534 nodes (corresponding to a netmask of 255.255.0.0) but
is usually used as 254 nets, each with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  Very
typically, each router will glom the network 192.168.1.0, netmask
255.255.255.0, and will assume the ip address 192.168.1.1 on that net.
If you have several approximately co-located wireless routers, and each
has assumed that they own 192.168.1.x, you have a collision between ip
addresses.  Also usually they will be acting as DHCP address providers,
again without coordination.

I would suggest drawing a picture clearly identifying the individual
networks ( ip and netmask ) and all of the hosts ( mac and ip address
(static or DHCP) ) and all of the bridges/routers.

I do not have an Asus WL-520, I have a venerable WRT-54G which looks
pretty much the same (internals aside).  My wired/wireless net is
192.168.1.x netmask 255.255.255.0, and is DHCP (the four wired ports
are available but unused currently).  The Wan port is a second net,
(192.168.2.x netmask 255.255.255.0 with only two hosts: my router and
the Verizon router which has its wireless disabled.  (If you are curious
why this bizarre arrangement, it is because I wanted WPA/AES and the
Verizon router would only give me WEP).

The next question is why do you want to connect to the foreign routers?
 (And I assume that this is with the owner's permission).  If you just
want to have individual hosts connect on an occasional basis, it would
be a good idea to have your local network ip address such that it does
not conflict with any possible other network, although I do not know if
this is necessary.  Use iwconfig or the desktop wireless manager to
connect with the router you want.

On the other hand, if you are trying to use the wireless of your router
as a wan port, that is to get to the internet through your wireless and
then through your neighbor's, I think you would have to configure the
routing tables in your router (not in your local host).  I do not know
if the firmware of the router is willing to do that.

Alan.