[CALUG] asus wifi

John Alan Hastings jah1066 at aol.com
Sun Dec 26 13:19:24 EST 2010

It sounds like what you want to do is to use your Asus sort of like a
free Wifi dongle.  I think that all the hardware needed is present, but
I don't think it will want to cooperate.  First, the Asus will want to
be an 802-11 server and will expect the devices it connects to to be
clients.  The hot spot router/gateway will be doing the same.  The
second point is that the Asus will pretty much expect to be the DHCP
server, and again, so will the other router.  What you would need to do
would be to gain access to the Asus, figure out how to reconfigure the
Wifi to be a client, and redo the routing table so that the Wifi port
instead of being a server to /your/ net (i.e., your machine) is a client
of the hot spot's router.

You might either continue to run your connection between your host and
the Asus as DHCP, or, if convenient, use a static IP between them.  DHCP
would probably be easier.  You must, however, remember that the
connection between the Asus and your host is a little, tiny net.  I
don't think it is mandatory, but it would probably be a good idea to
give it it's own network ID, say 192.168.3.0 or something different from
that of the hot spot.

I am dubious that this could be done with a vanilla, out of the box
Asus.  You mentioned dd-wrt.  I have not played with dd-wrt or with any
of its brothers tomato, openwrt et.al.  I would think that the primary
advantage is that you can run an sshd and get a shell.  The fora seem to
indicate that dd-wrt can be installed on an ASUS WL-520-GC, but bricking
is always a possibility.  Proceed at your own risk and your own comfort
level.

Alan