[CALUG] GCC Woes

Etan Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Mon Feb 8 21:25:35 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 06:40:27PM -0700, Ben W wrote:
> I sincerely appolgize for all the SPAM I'm generating, but I wanted to post
> the fix to my (latest) issue, when dpkg is used to install an older version
> of gcc the system adds /usr/bin/gcc-2.95 as the command to start it, make
> looks for the command gcc (obviously) and therefore fails. By removing
> renaming the command to /usr/bin/gcc this is resolved.
>
> Thanks much

Messing with files/links/etc. in areas managed by the package manager is
virtually never the correct solution. In cases like this even more than
most, it is quite likely that the kernel supports something akin to the CC
variable to tell it what compiler to use to build itself (most projects
do). As such it should simply have been possible to point the kernel build
process at the older gcc binary directly rather than hacking up /usr/bin.
(Which, I should point out, will likely end up confusing your package
manager in exciting ways at a later date.)

    -Etan