[CALUG] GCC Woes

John Alan Hastings jah1066 at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 22:06:25 EST 2010

Ben,

It has been a few years since I had to do some backbuilding, and I do
not remember what all the issues were, but I do remember that what
worked for me was to build a clean room in a chroot jail.  Rather than
link the libraries, I copied them so that no matter what happened in the
chroot I would not damage my working system.  In addition, I knew
exactly what was going on.

Alan

Ben W wrote:
> I'm in the process of trying to go from the 2.6.x kernel to 2.4.x,
> everything works wonderfuly until I try make zImage, everything I've
> looked at and found online indicates that I need to roll back to an
> older version of gcc (2.95.3) to properly compile the kernel. I hate to
> keep tossing noob questions to the group, but I've downloaded and
> unpacked gcc-2.95.3, read it's install files, beaten google bloody
> looking for examples, and I simply can't get my head around how to set
> the options.
>
> In short if anyone has any experience with manual installs of gcc, even
> if it's just documentation (other than GNU's lack thereof) I'll be
> eternaly grateful. I'm running Debian on a x86 cpu and simply cannot
> grasp how to set the --target and --host options of ./configure, once
> that runs succesfuly I should be in the clear.

GnuPG/PGP Public key, 2010: 8C4489C4