[CALUG] Minimalist Distro

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3 at Comcast.NET
Mon Jan 25 18:38:08 EST 2010

Bryan's suggestions are all good.

Another good choice is Puppy Linux, which runs entirely in core. Puppy
can even run as a LiveCD, writing your home directory as another session
to a multisession CD or DVD. TinyCore Linux also runs in core.

Lubuntu is Ubuntu with the (lightweight) LXDE Desktop.

LinuxMint is a nice derivation of Ununtu.

Typing "linux distributions" to google produces a wealth of informative
links. I generally use distrowatch.com as my first stop, but some of the
other links have a better catalog on the first page.

Here are a few to keep you busy:

http://distrowatch.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions
http://lwn.net/Distributions/
http://www.linuxbasis.com/distributions.html

I added the word "small" to the google search term and get another
interesting list, but I'm starting to get lazy here.

Enjoy,

JIM