[CALUG] ATI Radeon 2100-based graphics - driver or alternative video card?

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 14:03:03 EDT 2010

The AMD 740G is a 55nm die shrink from the 80nm 690G, and little changes on the
IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) side of things.  It's the same X1250-HD2100
design.

There is bad news, good news and then more bad news that can be mitigated.

The bad news is that AMD stopped supporting this driver in the proprietary
driver.
There are always endless OEM changes with IGPs, and I'm sure AMD tired of it.
I've seen my share with the nForce/GeForce Go/M/etc... series on notebooks over
the years, although nVidia does its best to deal with vendor nuiances, and I
would
argue they do a far, far better job than on Windows.  I.e., my Gateway P-7811FX
has issues with the generic nForce/GeForce 9M series Windows drivers, requires
the Gateway-specific ones, but the generic nVidia Linux drivers update just
fine.

The good news is that the 690G/740G has full support in the open source world,
including 3D, and advanced feature-framebuffer support.  I have a refurbished
Gateway LT-3101u myself (bought almost a year ago for $200), the earlier
AMD 740G + 1.2GHz combination that kicks the newer Intel chipset + Core Solo
Gateway option in 3D performance and other things (power is about the same,
the 55nm 740G doesn't suck down much juice).  Distributions over the last few
years have the support, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc...  The newer distros even have more
advanced support for the IGP.

So the additional bad news, which can be mitigated, is that newer Kernel Mode
Setting
(KMS) framebuffer doesn't handle these AMD-ATI IGPs well.  There are some
firmware-
init issues before the Linux kernel starts that seems to set them up wrong.  The
solution
is to disable KMS, which causes the init to fall back to VESA modes for just the
boot
portion (nice logo screen for init).  Once X starts, its the fully accelerated
driver.

One of these two boot time o