[CALUG] June Speaker Announcement - Dave Quigley

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Wed May 26 20:11:34 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone!

For June we are going to have a great talk by Dave Quigley. He will be
discussing SELinux[0], where it came from and what it can do. The talk
will be from 7-9pm. I've been informed that he's got a talk that will
take about that much time so we will be starting as close to 7 as we
can.

We'll be enjoying pizza and soda provided by Praxis Engineering[1] from
6:30-7pm.

The meeting will be on Wednesday, June 9th at the Columbia, MD offices
of Tenable Network Security[2-3]

7063 Columbia Gateway Drive Suite 100
Columbia, MD 21046

Here's a bit about Dave and what we can expect:

Bio:

David Quigley is a Computer Systems Researcher for the National Information
Assurance Research Lab at the NSA. David is leading the design and
implementation efforts to provide labeled-nfs support for SELinux. He has had
prior experience contributing to the open source community through maintaining
the unionfs 1.0 codebase and contributing to various other projects. David has
presented at conferences such as the Ottawa Linux Symposium, the StorageSS
workshop, and several local Linux User Group meetings where he has given
presentations relating to storage, file systems, and security.

Abstract:

Over a decade ago researchers at the National Information Assurance
Research Lab at the NSA identified a need for flexible mandatory
access controls to help provide a solid foundation for secure systems.
This resulted in the development of the FLASK architecture, which has
seen implementation in a number of operating systems. The most
prominent implementation of FLASK is in the form of SELinux. Since the
early days of SELinux adoption much work as been done to improve the
utility and usability of SELinux. These enhancement have turned
SELinux from a prototype research implementation into a robust access
control mechanism that is used by a variety of customers world wide.

This talk is a from the ground up journey through SELinux,. It starts
with why do we need this technology and then moves through where to
obtain it, how it works, and how to identify and solve problems
associated with SELinux. In addition to these basics the talk also
covers slightly more advanced topics such as how to construct policy
for new applications and how to address customizations particular to
your deployments.

[0]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
[1]http://www.praxiseng.com/
[2]http://www.tenablesecurity.com
[3]http://fwd4.me/QGu (Google maps to Tenable's Office)

http://calug.org

See you all then and enjoy your pool hopping and cookouts this weekend!