[CALUG] eclipse and C on Fedora

Etan Reisner deryni at unreliablesource.net
Tue Nov 9 14:35:36 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 05:23:11PM -0500, Jim Bauer wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 12:54 PM, Jim Sansing wrote:
> > However, there are some things that (AFAIK) GUIs can do that terminal
> > editors can't.  For example, when a compile has errors, being able to
> > click on a compile error message and go straight to the flagged line in
> > the source.  (If anyone tells me that this is a _simple_ matter of using
> > ctags, then I demand you give a CALUG presentation on how to use ctags
> > to do this and all the other wonderful things that ctags claim to
> > provide!  Otherwise, I will continue to believe that ctags are a waste
> > of time and resources.)
>
> emacs/xemacs can do this (commands: compile and next-error).  And if you
> are thinking that is GUI, run "unset DISPLAY" before running emacs or
> xemacs.  No ctags/etags required.

vim can as well using :make and the ':he quickfix-window' stuff.

The urxvt perl module matcher also has, as one of its examples, support
for grabbing the "foo.c:##:" output at the start of a gcc error into a
matcher-activatable link to start vim/gvim/etc.

ctags is for jumping to a given symbols header file entry or function
definition when you are already in your editor (for those "what were the
arguments again" moments, etc.).

    -Etan