[CALUG] help with dns reverse PTR record problem

Duane Tucker duane_tucker at verizon.net
Sun Nov 28 21:08:18 EST 2010

Hi all,

I'm looking for someone who would be willing to help me with a DNS
problem. I'm willing to pay for your time.

Background: I administer the network and servers for a small company. I
have a linux server running postfix for outgoing smtp email. The domain
is registered with godaddy and I use the godaddy DNS Manager tool for
dns control.

The problem is this: when someone inside the network attempts to email
anyone at a comcast.net address,  Comcast rejects the emails with the
following message:

Nov 28 20:18:17 mailserver postfix/smtp[10207]: 4F0E36FD08:
to=<teset at comcast.net>, relay=mx1b.comcast.net[76.96.62.116]:25,
delay=19637, delays=19636/0.08/1/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host
mx1b.comcast.net[76.96.62.116] refused to talk to me: 554
imta04.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 69.85.36.83 Comcast
requires that all mail servers must have a PTR record with a valid
Reverse DNS entry. Currently your mail server does not fill that
requirement. For more information, refer to:
http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/PTR)

Comcast is the ONLY domain in almost 2 years that we have this problem
with. Luckily, we almost never need to email anyone with a Comcast
address. This problem has reared its ugly head only 3 or 4 times. It
drives me nuts, however, that I can't figure out how to fix the problem.
This weekend I even stumbled through setting up my own DNS server, using
bind, but then couldn't figure out how to implement it. The reason for
my confusion here is that in the godaddy dns manager, it requires me to
enter a FQDN for the name servers, not an IP address. Well, if the
purpose of the DNS server is to resolve names, and the DNS server is
running within the same domain that your trying to resolve, how in the
world would it ever get there for resolution?!?

Now you would think that the answer would be easy. Since I'm managing
dns entries with the godaddy dns manager, why not just put a reverse PTR
record there? But no, that's just too easy. Godaddy doesn't allow you to
enter PTR records. They do have some perverted way to enter TXT records
with a PTR embedded, but I can't figure that out either. When I called
godaddy tech support, they politely informed me that since I don't use
their hosts, they can't provide support for the dns entries. Sigh. By
the way, here is a link to a godaddy support page discussing the
TXT/PTR/SPF "thing".

http://community.godaddy.com/help/article/680

So if anyone reading this thinks they can help, please do let me know.
I'm tired of spending weekends now and then chasing my tail. I know just
enough about all this to be dangerous. The answer could be just one
small step away and I simply can't see it.

Many thanks,
Duane Tucker