[CALUG] help with dns reverse PTR record problem

Jim Bauer jfbauer at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 07:15:39 EST 2010

For the SPF (special TXT) records you can configure, I believe the
PTR information needs to already exist.  If there is no PTR for your
address(es) at all, they would still need to be created (see below).  If
there is one, but just doesn't point your your domain (i.e. point to
something in you IPS's domain) then I think you can list that as an
'additional PTR address' (3rd bullet in part 7 of SPF section at the web
page you referenced).  Whether concast will accept that, I have no idea.

For PRT records, you'll likely need the assistance of your ISP.  i.e.
whoever assigned you the IP address(es) in question.  They can either
delegate (highly unlikely) a portion of the reverse namespace to you or
(more likely) you tell them what you want it to point to and they take
care of it.

Another option would be to relay your outgoing email through an email
server at your ISP (if they provide such a service).  Although keep in
mind that such a service may require your to do something like a pop or
imap login from the same address before it'll accept mail over smtp (to
prevent spamers from using their email server as spam relays).  I don't
know if that would work well for business usage.