[CALUG] OT: whitespace made available

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 13:26:47 EDT 2010

hi all,

I realize this is OT:, but it's not "winders" either.
I guess one could call this a Q about computers and networking.

scenario:

The FCC has released a large amount of whitespace: VHF/UHF
frequencies where "low power" transmissions can take place.
This has been called wi-fi on steroids.  "Released" means there are
no licensing requirements.  Range is in the "several "miles".

Basically you have a place with a "base" with a "higher power" transciever,
and "computers" would have something like a wi-fi card.
A number of mobiles ( laptops etc) surrounding a base would
form a cluster ( standard terminology ).  Clusters could interconnect
with peer-peer.  Think daisy chains...

Setting aside the commercial companies, I was thinking about 2 models
of "free".

1.  local govts: low cost bases or schools rec centers etc that could
potentially cover entire counties.  They all have ground connections
these day, so the app here would be to citizens at home or mobile.
And could be potentially free as the setup would be relatively "low cost"
compared to govt connercial services.  As a more extreme case, if
there were adequate wireless coverage, counties could do away with
commercial cellphones for employees (who do local work) and run their
own wireless voip with free software at a MUCH reduced cost.

2. hobby clusters.  One guy builds a base and has a cluster of
buddies, and some peer-to-peer laptop connects to another cluster
if desired.

I don't know ALL the specs, but this looks to have many wifi features,
(including security features ) or really, whatever you want: maybe
design your own specs if you don't want to copy wi-fi !!) as well as
range much much longer than wi-fi, but not wi-max.
The frequencies themselves are much better than wifi, contributing
to more range and speed, and infrastructure penetration.

There is a Maryland broadband plan recently announced that will
provide the govt much higher speed backbone throughout the state
and is cooperating with VA and DC govts for their own netowrking
system, which I think makes supplying free wireless service to
residents viable.

Two  orgs with lots links are:
http://doit.maryland.gov/support/Pages/networkMaryland.aspx
http://wiki.maxgigapop.net/twiki/bin/view/MAX/AboutUs