[CALUG] FYI-2: modest linux camera

Walt Smith waltechmail at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 13:12:15 EDT 2010

a little more info in case anyone decides to
play with kids $20 cameras: I just figure documenting
this somewhere is good.  Kids could use linux also !
I'm just a bigger one.

model that doesn't work is Vivitar VS18B, model name CyberPix
plastic pack at Target.

I noticed on the Vivitar package back bottom in very small
letters copyright "Sakar".  Looking at the linux camera list, Sakar does
have a model name CyberPix.  I tried every incantation
and couldn't get it to work.  Including pluggin and unplugging
in the cable before and after camera selection.  If the software
driver could work, perhaps it simply needs the right text string
for model.

As an aside,   digikam presents camera list and on right side
has some options.  Most are greyed out.  One option
was mount point.  It was also grey with "/" showing.  However,
if I close the window and reopen camera selection to that camera,
I can now fill-in the mount option, say

/media/

however, repeated tries of that and retries using universal USB
PTP failed to work, and well as that universal camera mount option.