[CALUG] Android SDK

Jim Sansing jjsansing at verizon.net
Thu Sep 2 15:21:08 EDT 2010

If your JRE is gcj, I have found that Eclipse runs a lot better with
Sun's JRE than gcj.  The last time I tried to use gcj with Eclipse, I
was doing SSL networking and it simply did not work.  When I switched to
the Sun java package, my app not only started working, Eclipse
performance was easily twice as fast.

Be aware that if you leave gcj installed, you have to configure the
system to use Sun java instead (unless the package handles it for you).
This includes:

1) Set /etc/alternative/java* using the update-java-alternatives script
(or update-alternatives if the java specific script is not available)
2) Make sure Eclipse is using the right JRE in Window -> Preferences ->
Java -> Build Path -> Classpath Variables

BTW, I am not praising Sun here.  I think it was a dirty trick they
pulled by not working with FOSS on Java, and now with Oracle muddying up
the waters, the details of what Sun didn't do when they finally "open
sourced" Java are coming out.  I am not ready to ditch it entirely, but
I am definitely looking at other alternatives.  As far as Android goes,
I don't expect Oracle to win, and even if they do, I expect Google to
indemnify developers and users.  But the whole business seems like a lot
of pain for little or no gain to me.

Later . . .   Jim