[CALUG] October Speaker Announcement - Mike Rash

Chuck Frain chuck at chuckfrain.net
Thu Sep 30 22:42:08 EDT 2010

Hello everyone!

Before I introduce our speaker for October, I'd like to add a reminder
for the Geeknic[0] on October 10 at the Westiminster Community Park!
Sign up on the wiki or drop an email to geeknic at ubuntumaryland.org with
the number attending what you would like to bring !

Now to the main reason for this email, that of announcing our speaker
for the October 13th meeting of CALUG[1].

We will be welcoming Mike Rash[2] to the Columbia, MD offices of Tenable
Network Security[3][4]! Enter at the back patio with the blue tables. Join
us at 6:30pm for pizza and sodas provided by Praxis Engineering[5].

Then at 7ish Mike will begin his talk titled "Advances in Single Packet
Authorization with fwknop"

Abstract:

Single Packet Authorization (SPA) solves many of the inherent problems in Port
Knocking implementations, but adoption of both port knocking and SPA has been
slow in the security community.  This talk will try to bridge the gap and
present the latest research into providing a robust and easily deployed SPA
layer for various network services.  Interoperability between Windows, BSD, and
Linux systems will be highlighted, and the new libfko C implementation that
provides SPA communications via a library that can be used within third party
applications will be discussed.  Finally, advanced fwknop functionality such as
anti-fingerprinting measures and the creation of inbound NAT rules will be
demonstrated, and a live example of using SPA to create ghost services to
bypass strict network access control layers will be shown.

Bio:

Michael Rash holds a Master's Degree in applied mathematics with a
concentration in computer security from the University of Maryland, and is
author of the book "Linux Firewalls: Attack Detection and Response with
iptables, psad, and fwsnort" published by No Starch Press.  Michael works
professionally as Senior Security Architect for G2, Inc., and previously worked
as a developer for the Dragon Intrusion Detection and Prevention system from
Enterasys networks.  He is a frequent speaker at computer security conferences,
and is the founder of cipherdyne.org, an organization dedicated to open source
security technologies.  In his free time, Michael leads the development of
the psad, fwsnort, and fwknop security projects.

[0]http://geeknic.ubuntumaryland.org
[1]http://calug.org
[2]http://cipherdyne.org
[3]http://tenable.com